This Collection Notice applies to schools administered by the Catholic Education Office of the Diocese of Townsville as well as the Catholic Education Office.
The school collects personal information, including sensitive information about pupils and parents or guardians before and during the course of a pupil's enrolment at the school. This may be in writing or in the course of conversations. The primary purpose of collecting this information is to enable the school to provide schooling to pupils enrolled at the school, exercise its duty of care, and perform necessary associated administrative activities, which will enable pupils to take part in all the activities of the school. Some of the information collected is to satisfy the school's legal obligations, particularly to enable the school to discharge its duty of care.
Laws governing or relating to the operation of a school require certain information to be collected and disclosed. These include relevant Education Acts, Public Health and Child Protection laws. Health information about pupils is sensitive information within the terms of the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) under the Privacy Act 1988. The school may ask you to provide medical reports about pupils from time to time. Personal information collected from pupils is regularly disclosed to their parents or guardians.
The school may disclose personal and sensitive information for educational, administrative and support purposes. This may include to:
- other schools and teachers at those schools
- government departments
- Townsville Catholic Education Office (TCEO), the Queensland Catholic Education Commission (QCEC), the Townsville Diocesan Office and local parishes, other related church agencies/entities and schools within other Dioceses
- medical practitioners
- people providing educational, support and health services to the school, including specialist visiting teachers, coaches, volunteers, counsellors and providers of learning and assessment tools
- providers of specialist advisory services and assistance to the school, including in the areas of Human Resources, child protection and students with additional needs.
- assessment and educational authorities, including the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) and NAPLAN Test Administration Authorities (who will disclose it to the entity that manages the online platform for NAPLAN)
- people providing administrative and financial services to the school, and
- anyone you authorise the school to disclose information to, and anyone to whom the school is required or authorised to disclose the information to by law, including child protection laws.
The school may engage in fundraising activities. Information received from you may be used to make an appeal to you. It may also be disclosed to organisations that assist in the school's fundraising activities solely for that purpose. The school will not disclose your personal information to third parties for their own marketing purposes without your consent.
On occasion, information such as academic and sporting achievements, pupil activities and similar news is published in school newsletters and magazines, intranet, social media pages and website. This may include photographs and videos of pupil activities such as sporting events, school camps and school excursions. The school will obtain permissions from the pupil's parent or guardian (and from the student if appropriate) if the school would like to include such photographs, videos or other identifying material in promotional material or otherwise make this material available to the public such as on the internet.
The school may include pupils' and pupils' parents' contact details in a class list and school directory. If you provide the school with the personal information of others, such as doctors or emergency contacts, the school encourages you to inform them that you are disclosing that information to the school and why.
Email us if you would like to know more about information privacy.
- Collection Notice for Job Applicants
- Collection Notice for Alumni
The Townsville Catholic Education Office reserves all rights in relation to the copyright of any and all material on this site.
Except for educational use under the NEALS agreement and for any further dealings for the purpose of private study, research, criticism or review as permitted under the Commonwealth Copyright Act, no part may be reproduced or reused without the specific written permission of the Townsville Catholic Education Office.
If you wish to contact us regarding a Copyright matter, our contact details are:
The Executive Director
Catholic Education Office
PO Box 861
Aitkenvale Q 4814